Receive news direct to your inbox every week, subscribe to Snooze News Weekly.
Each week, we find, curate and share the most relevant bedding and mattress news stories from across the web. Check out what we’re reading this week.
The Latest Issue: The spring edition of Sleep Retailer features up-to-date information on all of this season’s latest mattress collections, sleep products + bedding technologies. Check it out online: bit.ly/2Rixcan | bit.ly/3rTZa8R
- A group of engineering students won accolades for their design and prototype of the Smart Robot Bed, a device that can assist elderly and bedridden people to regain some sense of independence. The Las Cruces Sun News has the details.
- According to Club Industry, the latest AppleWatch update features more advanced sleep tracking insights and functionality. Users can now track their sleeping respiratory rate, thanks to a built-in accelerometer.
- The High Point Market Authority has teamed up with High Point by Design to offer a Market Masterclass this August. The half day program will include a panel of Market veterans sharing their insights into how High Point has furthered their business growth. We’ve got the details on SleepRetailer.com.
- Bed Bath & Beyond’s stock underperformed this week, sliding 5.48% on Monday, according to MarketWatch.
- Nationwide Marketing Group recently announced that GRAMMY Award-winning country group Little Big Town will perform at its PrimeTime event this August. Get the details on SleepRetailer.com now.
- Retail sales dropped more than expected last month, the New York Times reports. With vaccination rates on the rise, economists are seeing this dip as a sign that consumers are moving away from homebound purchases like home improvement and instead spending on restaurants, lodging and travel.
- Drawing attention to the need for companies to live up to their sustainability claims, the American Sustainable Business Council recently published two reports calling out ‘greenwashing’ in the crib mattress market. We break down those reports and their mission here on SleepRetailer.com.
- International Market Centers is counting down the weeks to the Summer Las Vegas Market with its Market Snapshot program. Each week, the program will highlight six products that will be available at market – all centered around a common theme! Get all the details in Furniture World.
- Philips is recalling sleep apnea machines and ventilators containing foam that could put users at risk of cancer or other health issues. | US Today
- STORIS has teamed up with Tools2Win, giving its users the ability to send key data to the Tools2Win Analytical Platform. Learn more about the benefits of this new functionality on SleepRetailer.com now.
- Purple is launching new pillows inspired by its customers’ diverse comfort needs. KPVI has the details.
- Katapult has completed its merger with FinServ, a special purpose acquisition company. Learn what this means for the e-commerce focused financial technology company in Sleep Retailer.
- According to Zacks Equity Research, Casper stock is a solid choice for investors right now – thanks in part to the fact that the Retail/Home Furnishings space is seeing solid earnings estimate revision activity. Read more from Yahoo!Finance.
- A Murphy Bed for the modern age: ori’s cloud bed is a smart home furniture solution that transforms from a bed into a home office at the touch of a button. Check it out on DesignBoom now.
- Did you know that retail is one of the highest-risk jobs for workplace violence? Loss Prevention Media explores why that is and outlines some steps retailers can take to protect their associates.
- Logicdata has been acquired by Zhejiang Jiecang Linear Motion Technology, creating a worldwide one-stop-shop linear motion components and systems supplier. | Sleep Retailer
- The pandemic has accelerated advances in touchless retail display technology. Retail Customer Experience has the details on how this technology is evolving.
- Malouf is expanding its Weekender product line with eight memory foam mattresses. We’ve got the details on SleepRetailer.com now.
- Retail and food service sales are recovering in the US, with 2021 sales rebounding beyond their 2019 levels. AdWeek explores some of the challenges that still remain.
Science & Fun Stuff
- Getting ready for a sleep apnea test? Here’s how you should prepare.
- Calming music may help older adults improve their sleep, a new study says.
- If meditating before bed isn’t your thing, you may want to try breathwork instead. This beginner-friendly mindfulness practice can help calm your nervous system, reduce stress and make it easier to fall asleep. Healthline shows you how.