Brought To You By Signature Sleep
First things first, cleaning and organizing doesn’t seem like as much of a chore when you do it with someone else. So before getting started, call a friend - one with a baby of their own for a playdate or one without one to serve as baby entertainment while you clean. Then, it’s time to put on some music and follow these easy tips to spring clean your nursery:
Tip #1: Clothes, Clothes, Clothes
From hand-me-downs to new purchases, chances are your nursery closet and dressers are overflowing with baby clothes. Take it all out, wash all dirty clothes and separate into four piles.
- In the first pile, put all the items that your child either doesn’t like to wear or doesn’t fit anymore. In the case where you are expecting or want another child, store these clothes until you will need them again. If not, you can either sell them, or donate them to friends or charities that collect clothing for mothers in need.
- In the second pile, put all the items that are too big and don’t fit yet. We know your baby will grow into them faster than you would like, so don’t store them too far away.
- In the third pile, put all clothing that is currently out of season: winter jackets or summer hats and shoes. Depending on where you live, you won’t need those items for months, so why let them fill up your closet space?
- In the fourth pile, put all the items that don’t fit in any of the three previous categories. What you will be left with are items that you need right now.
Tip #2: Declutter
There is an unexplainable phenomenon that happens where things we buy for our children tend to multiply on their own. Category by category, go through your drawers and shelves and toss or donate items that you don’t actually need. Start with the toys, because that’s typically where we accumulate more items than our children knows what to do with. Chances are, you are still holding onto toys that your child has either outgrown or doesn’t reach for anymore. As with the clothing, remove the unused ones from your nursery, or living room, and decide whether you want to store it or donate it. Toss out the toys that are broken or that your little one has worn out.
Next up is the shampoo/soap/lotion/cream drawers. We are ready to bet that your drawers are full of half-empty bottles and products you just do not use anymore. It’s normal to try a few brands before you find the one you like the most, but why keep the others when you will never use them again? If they aren’t expired, donate them – someone else will surely appreciate it more than you. As for the products you have doubles of, combine half-empty bottles into one and save some drawer space.
Tip #3: Do Some Spring Cleaning
Now that everything is in its place, it is time to take out the gloves and scrub the shelves, wipe down the furniture, clean the windows, dust the light fixtures and vacuum the floors. It does not happen very often that the nursery is free of clutter so take the opportunity to give it a thorough clean. Make sure to use soapy water or products that do not have harsh chemicals. If needed, use this occasion to change the layout of the room to make it more functional.
Tip #4: Back to Basics
Naturally, you want the best for your child—and a good night’s sleep starts with a good mattress. We created the Signature Sleep Honest Blossom Crib and Toddler mattress so that everything their skin touches is as natural as can be. The Signature Sleep Honest Blossom is handcrafted in California and made from three ethically sourced materials: organic cotton, natural wool and natural coconut coir…that's it.
- All three materials provide moisture wicking properties that will help keep your child warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- The natural coconut coir construction gives the mattress the firmness it needs to give your little ones the proper support as they grow up to be amazing little humans.
- Babies are messy – that’s just a fact. That’s why this mattress comes with a bonus mattress cover, made with organic cotton, that is waterproof and machine washable.
- The Blossom has a convenient two-sided construction to give your bundle of joy a mattress that will follow them from their first smiles to their first steps.
- This mattress, hand crafted in California, contains no fire retardants and is a natural fire barrier thanks to the wool.
- Thanks to our partnership with One Tree Planted, when you buy one mattress, you are giving back to the environment by planting one tree.
The Signature Sleep Honest Blossom Mattress gives your child the sleep they deserve, the natural way. Is there better sleep than some Good Natural Sleep?
There you go, you now have a clean and decluttered nursery just in time for summer.
This article originally appeared in Sleep Retailer eNews on March 21, 2019.
Click here to get Sleep Retailer eNews delivered straight to your inbox.