How to pick the best pillow for your needs:
The first thing to consider when looking for a new pillow is how you naturally sleep. The purpose of your pillow is to hold your head and neck squarely in line with your spine throughout the night—and that means each sleep position has different support needs.
- Side sleepers should look for taller, slightly firmer pillows that will fit snugly in the space between the ear and the end of the shoulder.
- Back sleepers should look for a slightly shorter pillow that cradles the head.
- Stomach sleepers should look for a flatter, softer pillow that does not crane the neck back.
Pillows come in many different materials:
- Down : softer, more mutable (note: if you have allergies, you should avoid down materials as they can aggravate your symptoms)
- Memory foam : firmer, molds to your head
- Latex foam : bouncier, cradles your head
- Shredded foam : softer, contours to your head
- Polyester fiber : flatter, less springy
Once you find the right shape and material, you can explore different comfort options:
- If you sleep hot, look for — cooling technologies like gel foam and temperature regulating fabrics
- If you have trouble relaxing for bed, look for — soothing aromatherapy infusions
- If you snore or wake up with a stuffy nose, look for — anti-allergen treatments, washable options and products that tout greater airflow
Protect-A-Bed’s Luxury Adjustable Pillow System
The pillow is made with a sturdy microfiber fill that can be removed so you can adjust the pillow’s height and firmness to better support your head and neck. The cover is made from hypoallergenic, moisture-wicking Tencel lyocell fibers, which help keep your pillow clean, dry and dust mite-free, while the Cooling Breathe-A-Vent mesh fabric side panel promotes fresh air circulation through the pillow.
$ | Visit protectabed.com
Malouf’s Z ActiveDough + Bamboo Charcoal Pillow
Made from unique ActiveDough foam, this pillow combines the quick-response feel and superior support of latex foam with the contouring comfort of memory foam. The foam is infused with gel to draw heat away from the body for a cooler, more comfortable sleep. Additionally, this model is also infused with activated charcoal made from bamboo, which helps regulate moisture, odor, and temperature. Unscented and hypoallergenic, it is a great option if you have allergies or asthma.
$$ | Visit maloufsleep.com
Blu Sleep Cool Gel Essential Pillow
Inspired by the beneficial effects of aromatherapy, this pillow is made from premium Italian foamed gel that has been infused with soothing essential oils. You have the choice of three unique scents: Lavender, Chamomile and Cooling Aloe Vera. The pillow is dynamically designed to adapt to the curves of the head and neck, and comes with a temperature-neutral dual sided cover that ensures greater comfort throughout the night.
$$ | Visit blusleepproducts.com
PureCare Body Chemistry SoftCell Select Reversible Hybrid Pillow
This pillow not only gives you the choice of two unique comfort feels, it also delivers advanced wellness benefits. On one side, it ensures added neck and shoulder support with a section of extra Identically Down (i.d.) fill on one side. The other side features pressure relieving temperature-neutral memory foam. The cover fabric features Celliant fibers, which have been clinically tested to help promote a temporary increase in blood flow, faster recovery from physical activity and more restful sleep by absorbing and recycling the energy emitted by the human body.
$$ | Visit purecare.com
Bedgear Cool Touch Solar Pillow
This pillow is made with heat-deflecting, cool-to-the-touch Ver-Tex fabric that helps you maintain an ideal temperature no matter how hot or cold you get during the night. It also features a dual design, with one firmer side and one softer side. It is available in four height options.
$$$ | Visit bedgear.com
The Pillow Bar’s Slumberlicious Down Filled Back Sleeper
All of The Pillow Bar’s pillows are hand-crafted, one at a time, by trained pillow makers who customize each one to match your unique sleep style, height, shoulder size and age. This model is designed specifically for back sleepers, with a center depression that cradles your head and a customized under-neck channel to support your neck. The pillow is made with a hypoallergenic, sterilized down fill and comes with a washable zippered protector.
$$$ | Visit thepillowbar.com
$ - Under $100
$$ - Under $200
$$$ - Over $200
Read more here.